Urban planning graduates have the skills that can be used in many different sectors. If you recently graduated and you have an urban planning degree, you might feel a little overwhelmed simply because of the different options available. There are many urban planning firms that you can consider working for but what work you will actually do there depends a lot from one firm to the next.
After getting your urban planning degree you need to remain up-to-date with built environment, current planning laws and the wider environmental issues that affect your work. This is mandatory when going for a planning career. Fortunately, this constant learning will be made easier by the fact that you can constantly express the passion you have for making places better.
- Transportation Planning
- Local Government Officer
- Town Planning Officer
- Housing Officer
- Conservation Officer (Historic buildings inspector)
Some of the jobs where the Urban Planning degree is useful to include
- Sustainability Consultant
- Civil Service Administrator
- Environmental Manager
- Community Development Worker
- Development Surveyor
- Planning Surveyor
Most urban planning graduates normally choose careers in design, planning and development. There are also work positions available in areas like
- Economic Development
- Environmental Consultancy
- Urban Regeneration and even transport. You can find public sector jobs through:
- Developed/Central Government.
- Local Authority Departments; like services related to development, planning or regeneration.
- Major public bodies.
Environmental and private planning consultancies will employ the urban planning graduate in order to advise individuals and organizations on some specific planning schemes. It is also possible to find work opportunities with:
- Utility Companies
- Housing Associations
- Transport Organizations
- Neighbourhood Planning Organizations
- Large Retail Businesses. If you need even more work sources, you can consider NGOs and charity sectors that deal with heritage, conservation and environmental issues.
As a graduate of urban planning, you can develop specific specialist knowledge in regional and town planning. This gives you access to various professional skills like
- Finance Development
- Analytical Research
- Place Making
- Partnership Working
- Collaboration and making Reasoned arguments.
It is also possible that you will develop skills that are going to be pretty useful in other career areas. Examples can be given in
- Information Technology (IT)
- Written Communication
- Pragmatism and Decision-making.
The last thing that should be mentioned is that you can go on a postgraduate study course in order to further your planning knowledge or when you want to specialize in some specific areas. This might also be necessary for some organization partnerships. You can consider various specialist courses and you can further study some options in order to go to some related careers like landscape architecture or built environment.
Culled from Time Square Chronicles | What Can You Do With Your Urban Planning Degree?
- 4 Unbeatable Reasons To Hire A Custom Home Builder For Your Dream House - January 17, 2021
- How to go about buying an affordable home in Gurgaon? - December 30, 2020
- The Concepts of Urban Revitalization and Urban Developments - December 29, 2020