Tpl. Olugbenga Oladimeji ASHIRU was born over forty years ago into the popular Ashiru family of Ijebu land, in Ijebu-Ode Local Government Area of Ogun State. His place of birth was Palm Groove in Shomolu local government of Lagos State.
He became a Registered Town Planner in 2010 after obtaining a Professional Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning in 2006. He is a member of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners and Town Planners Registration Council of Nigeria.
His professional achievements in the field of planning are
- 2nd Assistant National Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (2018 – To Date).
- National Public Relations Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (2016-2018).
- Assistant National Public Relations Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (2014 – 2016).
- Chairman, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (Ogun State Chapter) Publication Committee 2016.
- Ex-Officio II, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (Ogun State Chapter) 2015 – 2016
- Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (Ogun State Chapter) 2013– 2015.
- Assistant Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (Ogun State Chapter) 2011- 2012.
- Public Relation /Social Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (Ogun State Chapter) 2010–2011.
- The Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, Ogun State Chapter Revenue Generating Committee, 2010.
- The Secretary, Ogun Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, Ogun State Chapter Building Committee, 2008.
- Chairman, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners Ogun State Chapter, Publication Committee 2010.
Tpl. Olugbenga Oladimeji ASHIRU has a passion to help in building, achieving and/or sustaining environmental qualities by putting into use every useful and available resource to enhance value and thereby promoting succession and continuity.
It was based on this that he organized lectures for candidates of NITP/TOPREC Professional exam and TOPREC exam for nine (9) years in Ogun state which has produced many registered town planners across the state.
He was employed into the Ogun State Civil Service as a Higher Technical Officer in 2004 his working experiences and designations include
- Chief Executive Officer, Ogijo Zonal Planning Office (2011).
- Chief Executive Officer, Mowe/Ofada Zonal Planning Office (2012-2016).
- Chief Executive Officer, Abeokuta Central Zonal Planning Office (2016).
- Chief Executive Officer, Ijebu Ode Zonal Planning Office (2016 –to Date).
As a Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the Ota zonal office, he mobilized C.D.A to build an additional two offices and renovated it for a good working environment. He has worked on several projects including and not limited to;
- Preparation of layout and reports on the scheme for Government land
- Review of land use maps for major towns in Ogun State (Abeokuta, Ifo, Ogijo, Mowe, and Ota)
- Development control activities
- Member, Technical team Ogun State University Teaching Hospital master plan, Sagamu, Ogun State.
- Proposed Urban Renewal design proposed for Ogun State major towns.
He has contributed in so many ways to improve the profession in the state, and all this effort was crowned in 2012 when he was chosen after an interview by a foreign consultant as one of the two Town Planners sent on training to Malaysia by the Ogun State Government on the Mission to Rebuild Project (Abeokuta City Centre and New Town Development).
Some of his awards are
- LM International Award of Excellence for Outstanding Performance 2019
- Progenesis Foundation Award for valuable contribution to the built environment profession 2019
- Distinguished Youth Personality Award 2019
- Prominent Peoples Award For Excellence In Town Planning Profession 2019
- NITP Award of Excellence for Outstanding Performance (2018)
- PRS FORUM 2018 Award of Excellence for Outstanding Performance (2018)
- Ogun State Public Service Award, One of the Most Outstanding Senior Staff (2016).
- National Association Of Nigerian Students Merit Award (2015)
- Honorary Award (Icon of Hope) Urban and Regional Planning Students Association of Nigeria ‘15
- Most Promising Town Planners in Ogun State (2015), Nigerian University Engineering Student Association (FUNAAB).
- Most Supportive Alumni (2008) National Association of Town Planning Student (MAPOLY).
- NYSC Kebbi State Award for 2001 service year.
As the NITP National Public Relations Secretary Tpl. Ashiru Olugbenga Oladimeji is responsible for the following
- Creation of States and National Watsapp groups
- Makes the NITP website and other social media platform vibrant with information dissemination.
- Feedbacks From State Chapters through THE NEWS FROM THE STATES Bulleting
- Released over ten (10) press release on behalf of the institute on National issues ranging from a natural disaster to man-made in the National Newspapers
- The Institute is on the first page on Google search of town planning due to the various activities and post of NITP.
- Designed the NITP 50TH Anniversary Logo
- Responsible for the Design and Production of the 50TH Anniversary Ankara
- Creation of various Online posters for publicity
- Creation of various Online videos for publicity
- Two Editions of One Day Public Relations Secretary (PRS) Training
- Creation of Public Relations Secretary (PRS) Forum
- Increase the NITP Face book likes from 1023 to 6,541 and reached over 27,300people
- Published the first Online NITP newsletter
- Ashiru Olugbenga Oladimeji Introduced the publicity hashtag #ISupportTownPlanning that features
- Fuji Star King Wasiu Marshal (K1)
- Professor Ibidapo Obe (UNILAG)
- Mrs Rotimi Amaechi, Minister For Solid Minerals
- Tpl Bawa Buwari
- Nollywood Star Mr Odunlade Adekola
- Fela Durotoye
- Mr Omoyele Sowore
- Mr Kingsley Moghalu
He has delivered lectures on so many planning issues at seminars, workshops, and online platforms. He is a strong advocate for public awareness for the town planning profession, this led to the creation/birth of Voice of a Planner.
Tpl. Olugbenga Oladimeji ASHIRU has some skills and qualities which includes
- Excellent communication skill and interpersonal skill
- Ability to work in a team and result oriented Proficient in the use of computer software.
He loves reading, writing, travelling, sports, music, and meeting people. He is happily married and blessed with three (3) kids
- What are the Components of Environmental Education? - July 24, 2021
- How Urban Planners can Contribute to Disaster Risk Reduction - July 24, 2021
- 7 Types of Urban Planning Operations and Concepts – Explained - July 23, 2021