Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development is the government ministry responsible for the planning and implementation of the Lagos State Physical Planning and Urban Development. policies. The ministry is working towards a sustainable planning and urban development that will offer an enabling environment for social economic activities of Lagos state through a dedicated workforce.
The state is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean in the South, Ogun State in the North and East, and stretches over 180 kilometers along the Guinea Coast of the Bight of Benin on the Atlantic Ocean. Lagos State was a colony with an estimated population of 270,000 pre-independence in 1952. The state population increased to 2,47million in 1973 after it became a state in 1967. Lagos State Bureau of Statistics estimated the population of the state to over 22.5milliom in 2014 with a growth rate of at 3.2% per annum.
Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development Structure
The building control department aims to lead and transform the building and construction industry by enhancing skills and professionalism as well as improving design and construction capabilities. To make sure that building in Lagos State is designed, constructed and maintained to a very high standard of safety, avoiding loss of lives and properties through its building regulatory system. Aiming to make a zero percent of building collapse.
Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development Responsibility
– Initiation, Formulation, and Implementation of Physical Planning, Urban Development, and Urban Renewal Policies and Programmes
– Preparation of Regional, Master, Model City Plans, Action and Development plans for Excised Villages.
– Granting of approval and Monitoring of Layouts and Development Schemes for both Government and Private Estates.
– Evaluation, Relocation, and Regulation of Urban based Developments and Activities – Filling Stations, Banks, Eateries, Institutions & Informal Sectors.
Supervision of :
* Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority – Granting of Development Permits.
* Lagos State Urban Renewal Agency – Urban Renewal and Regeneration.
* Lagos State Building Control Agency Development Control and Removal of Illegal Structure.
– Electronic Document Management and Geographic Information System (EDMS & GIS)
– Site selection for Government Agencies and other Institutions
Overview of the Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development Activities
Preparation and Review of various development plans:
Review of VI/Ikoyi Model City Plan, Agege/Ifako Ijaye, Kosofe, Apapa, Lagos Island West and Lagos Island East
Urban Regeneration: Isale Gangan, Resettlement of Saw Millers from Oko-Baba to Agbowa-Ikosi, Relocation of Computer Village Ikeja to Katangowa, Relocation of Mile 12 Market to Parafa Ikorodu, Redevelopment of LASURA premises, Princess Street, Old Aroya Street and Anikantamo Street (Isalegangan Phase II) and Dolphin Estate Phases I-IV, Adeniji Adele.
Delivery of Right of Way alignment for existing and proposed Roads such as Lot 2A Lagos – Badagry 10 -lane Road Expansion and Light Rail Project, Lagos Coastal Road, Mile 12-Ikorodu Road BRT Expansion Project, Removal of encumbrance along Eric Moore Road at Costain, Ebute-Meta Lagos, Removal of encumbrance along Adisa Ajibulu Street, Oshodi Lagos Creating leeway for infrastructure provision i.e. Cable Car
Site selection for various uses such as Event Centers, Places of worship, Eateries, Categories of Petrol filling Station (PFS) Granting Planning Information in respect of proposed development
Granting approval and monitoring of layouts/private estate developers Scheme for compliance such as Layout for Creek View Estate, Ogudu Foreshore Scheme and preparation of development plans for excised villages such as Awoyaya
Development control, monitoring and auditing of physical developments; Identification, Removal and Publication of distressed buildings – Stage Certification
Human Resource Development and Capacity Building
Synergizing with other MDAs.
Creating public awareness, engaging stakeholders in planning and development process and rendering technical advisory services.
Improved Service Delivery: One – shop Saturday Service. Source
- 4 Unbeatable Reasons To Hire A Custom Home Builder For Your Dream House - January 17, 2021
- How to go about buying an affordable home in Gurgaon? - December 30, 2020
- The Concepts of Urban Revitalization and Urban Developments - December 29, 2020