DPR Approval Guidelines for Petroleum Filling Stations in Nigeria
The Department of Petroleum Resource (DPR) is saddled with the responsibility of exploration and importation of Petroleum products in Nigeria. The company also oversees the safety and other regulations that relate to the exportation and importation of the products into the country. DPR manages the up and downstream in Nigeria petroleum industry.
The Nigeria Federal Government introduces National Production Monitoring Systems (NIMS) to monitor the royalty payables and demand notices from all organizations dealing in petroleum in Nigeria. The Department of Petroleum Resource (DPR) is headed by The Director of Petroleum Resources, being the head of the management. Currently (2016), Mr Mordecai Ladan is the director at DPR. The DPR is responsible for the FMPR.
Department of Petroleum Resource Approval Guidelines for Petroleum Filling Stations in Nigeria
The procedure and conditions for granting approval for the construction and operation of Petroleum Filling Stations; these guidelines are in compliance with Petroleum (Amendment decree no. 37 of 1977 safety rules and regulations).
The intending Marketer should submit an application to DPR for site suitability inspection. The inspection shall among other issues report on the following basic requirements:-
– Size of the proposed land site.
– The site does not lie within a pipeline or PHCN high tension cable Right Of Way (ROW).
– The distance from the edge of the road to the nearest pump will not be less than 15 meters.
– A total number of petrol stations within 2km stretch of the site on both sides of the road will not be more than four including the one under consideration.
– The distance between an existing station and the proposed one will not be less than 400 (four hundred) meters.
– The drainage from the site will not go into a stream or river.
– In some instances where the site is along Federal Highway, a letter of consent from the Federal Highway is required.
– DPR guided/supervised EIA study of the site by DPR accredited consultant
Approval for Construction
If suitability report on the above preliminary issues is favourable, the under listed documents shall be required for submission to DPR office for review without any obligation on DPR to grant ATC if any negative change to the suitability situation of the site occurs before the grant.
– Application letter addressed to the Operations Controller of the DPR Zonal/Field office nearest to where the location of the proposed station site.
– Two (2) photocopies of Certificate of Incorporation.
– Two (2) photocopies of Memorandum and Article of Association.
– Two (2) photocopies of Current tax clearance.
– Original and photocopy of Police report.
(f) Original and photocopy of Fire report and Certificate.
– Two (2) original copies of the Approved building plan.
– Two (2) photocopies of letter from Land & Survey.
– Two (2) photocopies of Deed of conveyance.
– Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report for underground storage tank capacities greater than 270,000 litres.
After “Approval to construct” is granted, it is mandatory that some meaningful development is made on site within three (3) months from the date approval was granted. The approval expires if no development commences within the time frame.
Sign Post should be installed on site immediately after approval to construct is granted. The signpost should indicate the name of the company and the reference number of the approval letter.
Companies involved in the building of Petrol Stations, construction and fabrication of U/G storage tanks and canopy shall have DPR Permit to operate as Oil Industry Service Company.
Storage and License to Operate a Petrol Station
After ATC and the construction of the station during which it is mandatory to invite officer(s) of DPR to witness the burial and Pressure/Leak test of the U/G tanks, an application for storage and sales licence to operate the station must be obtained. The following requirements must be met.
Issuance of Storage and Sales Licence Requirements by DPR
– A minimum of three (3) underground storage tanks (one each for PMS, DPK, and AGO.)
– A minimum of three (3) dispensing pumps(one each for PMS, DPK and AGO)
– Office building: Two (2) offices, sales room, toilet, lube bay/store (Optional).
– Well, concreted forecourt “IN/OUT” driveway inclusive.
– Wall fence demarcating the station (minimum height of 1.5m high).
– Good drainage Network.
– Safety facilities (Fire Extinguishers, Sand Buckets, strategic display of “NO SMOKING” warning signs.
– Station Signpost/logo of company/outlet.
– The standard canopy over PMS pumps (mandatory) with company name and logo are boldly written.
– Standby Generator.
– Accessible Potable water source.
– Standard (51” x 30”) price billboard with the changeable price mechanism
– Products U/G tanks pressure test report/Certificate and Leak detection test (original printout).
– Photographs of the station 8” X 10” (not computer generated photographs (snapped from different angles such that in/out driveways pumps and other facilities are clearly shown).
– Current Fire certificate.
– Application form with Bank draft attached (amount depends on storage capacity).
– Evidence of trained attendants.
– Application letter addressed to The Operations Controller, Department of Petroleum Resources
Petrol Stations Takeover
The above requirements and documents are also applicable to a takeover station in addition to the following:-
Required Documents for Takeover of Petrol Filling Stations
– Two (2) photocopies of a certificate of Incorporation
– Two (2) photocopies of Memorandum & Article of Association
– Two (2) photocopies of Current tax clearance
– Original and photocopy of Current Fire Service report and certificate
– Two (2) original copies of the approved building plan.
– Original copy of previous storage and sales licence
– Pressure test certificate/report & Leak detection print out (original & photocopy).
– Evidence of trained pump attendants (original & photocopy).
– Completed application form with Bank draft depending on the total storage capacity applied for
– Receipt of purchase (if it is an outright purchase, Management agreement)
– Release/Takeover letter on company’s letter headed paper
– Station’s photographs taken from different angles showing the followings:
Fire extinguishers & a sand bucket on each dispensing pump island
Price billboard measuring 51” by 30” with fonts size 6” by 3”
Clearly demarcated drive In/Out Ways
“No Smoking” signs conspicuously displayed in the station.
NB: Where photocopies of documents are required, the originals should be tendered for sighting and returned to the applicant.
Petrol Filling Station Requirements for Operation
In addition to the major requirements on the “Approval to Operate Filling Station” issued along with the maiden licence of a station, the following are also
– Functional Firefighting gadgets must be kept handy and at alert.
– Ensure that a station Manager/Supervisor is always at the station
– Always make available alternative source of power to operate products pumps and adequate illumination of the station.
– Products are sold at prevailing government approved price
– Products pump accurate dispense/display of volume and price
– Pump attendants trained and dressed in safety wears
– Ensure that vehicle engines are switched off before fueling
– Strategic and conspicuous display of warning signs on “No Smoking and No Use of Cellphone” within the station
– Stations always maintain good housekeeping.
– Tanker trucks are earthed before starting and throughout products discharge
– Copy of each way-bill for products on a sale shall have to be available at the station at all times.
– Products in tanker trucks to be discharged into storage tanks shall have to be allowed to settle for at least two (2) hours while in the station before the discharge.
– Display of Current Storage and Sales licence in the station’s office
– Availability of DPR inspections log book in the station
– Unrestricted access to DPR officials to carry out statutory functions in the station.
Culled from DPR Official Website | Approval to Construct and Operate